Friday, May 27, 2005

RETURN OF THE KINGS

It hasn't sunk in yet. An unbelievable night. I was hoping to be able to book a place in Made In Anfield Pub (Liverpool's Fan Club's Pub) but they'll all booked. So with no place to go, I've decided to stay home and watch THE MATCH until friends jioed me to watch in Hotel 81. So chose Hotel 81 in Lavender, and got chased away cos too many ppl as they have a rule, Maximum of 2 ppl in a room. So we went to Hotel 81 in Balestier. Bluffed our way through, and got a room. It was quite troublesome as we had to sneak 4 more ppl in (total 6 ppl), and they found out that we had more ppl, and they called to complain. To cut things short, we managed to watch the match but with silent celebrations. Haha.

So kick off!! In less than a minute, Milan scored. Madini, with 7 Champions League final appearances under his belt, scored with a good shot. SIAN. What a blow. The smiles were all wiped of from our faces (3 of us were Liverpool fans, the other 3 are neutral fans, just wanting to catch the match). And Liverpool were playing badly. Milan had a goal claimed offside and we were slightly relieved. I even said that if they scored a 2nd goal, I will go to sleep. Kewell (of all people) started the match, and he was damn bad. I wonder what happen to the man whom I idolised when he was playing for Leeds United back then. Luckily, he got injured and Benitez got Smicer in. I was hoping for Cisse or Hamann but it's Simcer instead!!! ARGH Die lah. And Milan got their 2nd goal. Of all people, Crespo, Chelsea player on loan at Milan, scored after a good counter attack by Milan. So the 3 neutral friends keep suaning me now. 'Eh 2-0 liao. Go sleep lah tml still got work!' 'Milan win liao lah' 'Tot you say 2-0 you wan to sleep??' Haiz bo bian. blood pressure so high liao that time how to sleep?!?! And so I continue to watch. The 3 Liverpool fans were silent, crying in their hearts. Then came the 3rd goal. Jaws dropped, shoulders hunched, and hearts breaking. 3-0, Crespo (AGAIN!!) scored. The difference between the 2 sides are showing. Liverpool are just not good enough. I could imagine the headlines of the newpaper the next day. 'LOSERS', 'LIVERPOOL SURRENDER TAMELY', 'LIVERPOOL WALK ALONE' etc. Thousands of neagative headlines came to my head. Gerrard is leaving, Liverpool fans are dying. I never felt worse. Until the 2nd half.

I fell asleep at 1/2 time. Y? Too boring, no mood to watch, dun wan to be humilated. Yes. That's the word. Humiliated. Ashamed. I wanted to kill myself but better not, so I fell asleep on the bed, same with the other 2 Liverpool fans. The other 3 were playing game on PS, until 5 mins into the 2nd half then they switched back to ESPN. Then I woke up and saw Liverpool was attacking, and Hamann was on the pitch. And then I watched and hoped. Not hoping that Liverpool will win, but hoping that Milan wont trash us. And then Gerrard scored. Wonderful! Liverpool broke the kosong! Some pride at last. Then Simcer blasted in a shot a few minutes later. We screamed! And the Hotel called us but we did not pick up the phone. I was happy. 3-2 lose also nevermind. At least got some face, and Liverpool wont be disgraced. Then out of nowhere, PENALTY!!! Gerrard was tripped in the box. 3 Liverpool fans didn't want to watch. And so we lay face down and waited. *Pop!!* My heart sank. It's the sound of a goalkeeper save. Then I looked up. The Liverpool players were celebrating!! Alonso's penalty was saved but he was quick and scored from the rebound. 3-3!! We started to believe. Liverpool played a lot better in the 2nd half, and yet still can't find the 4th goal.

Then Extra time. Liverpool changed tactics, and played ultra defensively. At the last 3 mins of extra time, Dudek made 2 incredible saves!!!!! How did he did it??? I dunno but that's enough. The match went into penalties, and Dudek was doing some 'dance' moves to distract the opponents. and indeed they were distracted. They missed 3 penalties, and Liverpool are the CHAMPIONS!!!! We jumped around in the room. The comeback was completed. 5th time we were crowned champions. How on earth can we win? I seriously dunno. But 1 thing is for sure, Liverpool got to keep the cup cos they've win it 5 times! Not even the most Optimistic of Liverpool fans would be thinking of Liverpool winning the match. Of course less those who betted on Liverpool.

If you happen to see any Liverpool fans along on the streets, do get use to the glow in their eyes, cos this glow is staying for a long long time....

No comments: