Wednesday, May 25, 2005

From the moment Steven Gerrard scored the winning goal in the 3-1 win over Olympiakos in the Champions League group stages to send Liverpool into the knockout stage, I knew that this season it'll be a special one for us. But I didn't expect Liverpool be in the final. The more Liverpool progressed into the latter stages of the tournament, the more excited I got.

Very often people associate me with Liverpool, teasing me whenever they lose, and I think it's because of this that made me love them more. They don't play pretty football, no slick attacking moves of Arsenal, no superb passing moves of Man U, and of course don't have the riches of Chelsea. But I knew they will improve someday, become stronger like in the 70s and 80s, which I was unfortunate not to have witnessed them then. Tonight is the chance. The game of the year, and most probably the biggest game for millions of Liverpool fans around the world, and for the 11 players who will be stepping out on the pitch in Istanbul.

Comparing player for player with AC Milan, the Milan players will confirm come out tops. But comparing very single Liverpool fan for Milan fan, Liverpool win hands down. And so the score is 1000,000 - 11. Haha. And so tonight is THE NIGHT. THE NIGHT when a few million Liverpool hearts around the world unite, beat as one, sing as one, cheer as one, and hopefully not break as one. Go REDS! Let this be a night a memorable one for the million hearts. Even if you lose, go down fighting and don't give up. You've all already secured a place in our hearts.

You'll Never Walk Alone
Istanbul 26/05/2005

No comments: